Statistics for nurses (POD)
- Brink HIL
- ISBN: 9780627026096
- eISBN: N/A
- ePub ISBN: N/A
- 175 Pages | Published: 1987
A practical guide on fundamental statistics including a selection of techniques commonly described in nursing literature. This guide has been designed to provide the average nurse with a foundation or background to enable them to effectively follow statistical textbooks and to apply basic descriptive and inferential statistical techniques to problems in their field. Learning objectives are included in each chapter, new terms and symbols are highlighted, and techniques are presented on a conceptual basis and illustrated by a presentation of computational methods with examples relevant to nursing. Learning activities provide an opportunity to apply concepts discussed; answers to these exercises are included. The guide contains supplementary reading material.
Contents include the following:
- A review of fundamentals of arithmetic and algebra
- Introductory concepts
- Grouping of data
- Visual presentation of data
- Measures of central tendencies
- Measures of variation or dispersion
- The normal distribution curve and standard scores
- Elementary probability
- Sampling and estimations
- Hypothesis testing
- Reliability and validity
- Uses and misuses of statistics.
1. A review of fundamentals of arithmetic and algebra
2. Introductory concepts
3. Grouping of data (frequency distributions)
4. Visual presentation of data
5. Measures of central tendency (averages)
6. Measures of variation or dispersion
7. The normal distribution curve and standard scores
9. Elementary probability
10. Sampling and estimations
11. Hypothesis testing
12. Hypothesis testing with nominal-level data
13. Hypothesis testing with ordinal-level data
14. Hypothesis testing with interval-level data
15. Reliability and validity
16. Uses and misuses of statistics
All source material (excluding figures and tables) has been supplied in an editable format (Microsoft Office) and you can fully customise it to your needs.
Please click on the link below to access the Lecturer Support Material (LSM) portal:
If this is the first time you access Van Schaik Publishers LSM, you will need to register and set up a profile. Once your registration has been approved you will be sent an email and will then be able to request access to the resources you need for a particular book. You will also be able to request access to the resources of additional books using your profile.
We welcome any suggestions regarding new or additional resources. For any queries or feedback please contact our digital publisher at email@example.com. The material available varies from book to book and may also be developed further over time.
If you are uncertain about the registration and access request procedures, please download the LSM Manual.
Lecturer Support Material is available free to lecturers who lecture on courses where the book is prescribed but samples are also available should you wish to review what is available as part of your prescribed book selection process. Please contact your Marketer for access to the sample LSM.
Student requests for LSM will not be entertained and any attempts by students to access lecturer support material will be reported to a student’s lecturer or to the Head of Department.